2017 The Year of Nurturing
2017 takes us into a 1 year in numerology (2+0+1+7 =10. 1+0= 1). This is the year of new beginnings.
2016 was a 9 year and was a year of closing and clearing. Getting the soil (our life/energy) ready for the next phase. Look back at all the things that you let go of last year (willingly or not). It was a great year of closure and change eg:Brexit, Trump. Death with many of our 80’s idols leaving.
The energy has been preparing us for the next phase – new beginnings. Something must be released/cleared to make way for new. Change isn’t comfortable, and can be painful a times too. We have been taught to avoid feeling uncomfortable. That feeling pain is “bad”. But no matter what numbing thing we use – drugs, food, alcohol, sex etc… change is going to happen, regardless how long we delay it. The cool thing is that we already have best the tool to help us through transitions, and that’s self care and connection.
So even though 2017 is new beginnings, for me, the important theme is Nurture. Nurturing self from within. Spending time with yourself. Pausing, listening, connecting. Planting new seeds is no good unless you are actually watering and tending them on a daily basis. The energy of the universe we live in has changed. Skating through life without some level of consious personal growth is becoming harder, and often circumstances like illness, home or work life falling apart is forcing us to look deeper.
We can survive almost impossible emotional and physical experiences if we take the time to explore and connect with ourselves. Thats why its important to create a routine of self connection. So in times of intense stress and upheaval we have a sanctuary space to turn to, (even though this is often the last thing you want to do).
Nurturing yourself from within needs to be some sort of meditation (or prayer). I’ve explored it being in different forms of self nurturing, but meditation surpasses any other form because it opens a gateway connection to our spirit self. The self that is not weighed down by the fears and stories we carry within our physical self.
If your just new to meditation choose something that takes no more that 10 min per day. It needs to be doable even on your busiest days. There are some great meditation apps out there if you want to spend some time exploring them (I don’t know of any but would love some ideas for anyone please post in the comments below).
This is the mediation I do on a daily basis:
- It’s best to sit upright. Make sure you’re comfortable so use pillows or sit in a supportive chair.
- Turn your phone into aeroplane mode
- Set the timer for 7 minutes.
- Close your eyes.
- On your inhale breath say in your mind “I claim and connect with this body” and
- On your exhale say in your mind “It works in harmony with my mind”
- Then you you just keep repeating the chant on each inhale “I claim and connect with this body” and exhale “It works in harmony with my mind” over and over again till the timer goes off.
- (Turn the timer off) Then take a deep breath and on the exhale do a vocalised elongated “ahh” sound till you run out of breath.
- Repeat this 6 more times. (So you will have said 7 in total). This closes the meditation
Do this meditation every day (morning I’ve found is best), or if your feeling highly stressed or mentally/emotionally out of control repeat it morning and night.
- Don’t worry if you didn’t “feel” anything or your brain doesn’t shut up for the 7 minutes. Over time this will change. Just let any thoughts that come up pass by and focus back on the mental chant which each breath – inhale “I claim and connect with this body” exhale “It works in harmony with my mind”.
- It’s more important for you to show up every day and dedicate the time to the meditation, than for you to get it “perfect”.
- Your body/mind/emotions will begin to rely on it and by doing this every day you’re showing yourself that you are your own support, that you are important and you don’t need to reach out to someone else. The answers are inside of you. You just need to give yourself a chance to connect to them.
- I’ve found it really helps to reset and clear of all the mental/emotional baggage that we love to carry around with us. When we create quiet in the mind and a space for our energy to settle it results in a feeling of “true home”.
- Essential Oils to help meditation:
Single Oils: Frankincense, Cedarwood, Myrrh, Hong Kuai, Sandalwood, Blue Cypress, Idaho Blue Spruce, Black Spruce, Rose Oil and Ylang Ylang,
Young Living Blends: 3 Wise Men, Australian Blue, Sacred Mountain, The Gift, Surrender, Valor or Valor II, Believe, and Harmony.
Apply a drop of preferred oil to the crown chakra (middle of the top of the head), 3rd eye (middle of the forehead) or temples.